Heyla, everybody. Guess who has a home internet connection once again?
I'm not exactly sure what to put here for some sort of big "returning" type of post, given that it's been a bit over nine months since I last really involved myself with LiveJournal. Truth be told, I'd given some thought to just shutting this one down and maybe re-starting with another one. But, at the end of the day, this one's been "with" me through a fair amount, and it just didn't seem right to simply delete it all. That said, I have updated the format, profile, and icons. Because change is good, yes?
Lists are fun. Here is one now:
* There is a song, by a jazz group called the Steve Lehman Octet, that is entitled "As Things Change, I Remain the Same." It is a phrase that applies to a fair chunk of what has transpired during my e-abscence. I am still employed as a waiter, I still reside at the same address, and many of my days have been much the same as those that have gone before.
* Not everything has been static. For starters, I have been outside of the state on three occasions (once in March, once in April, and once in September). For the March and September outings, the destination was Easton, Pennsylvania, where we went with the intent of exploring the Crayola Factory
. However, our primary objective for those outings was to go to Don Pablo's for dinner, because they serve kickass Tex-Mex food there, and the closest one to Massachusetts is the one in Easton. Yes, our main reason for driving through three states (including the Ass State of New Jersey), for a period of two hours each way, was to get dinner. I do not have a single regret about any of it.
The third trip was down to Florida for a week. Me and two friends drove down there, both to explore our old college campus, and also to partake of Disney World. It was very fun all-around, even though we got stuck in traffic for four solid hours.
* Since about March or so, I have been the proud owner of a used PlayStation 2. This has provided me with my first solid stretch of gaming time since college, and it has been glorious. It may not sound important to some of you, but I consider computer/video games to be one of the better aspects of my life, and being able to reconnect with that for the first time in about two years has been good. As for specific games, it's been a tad scattershot (the Splinter Cell series, the first Ratchet & Clank
becuz I stil lieks me sum furriez, Red Dead Revolver
, the Mega Man X collection, and, most importantly, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
and the Ace Combat series of games).
* Bugs have a tendency to crop up at odd moments in my life. Back in either July or August I had a brief problem with ants, which has since died out. Lately its been ladybugs in my bedroom. These I don't mind quite so much, though it's still a little strange to hear them bumping into the lights of the ceiling fan.
* Was sick last week for a period of two days. Woke up on Sunday and promptly vomited, which meant an impromptu day off from work. I had the next day off as well, both due to illness and because it was my birthday. Instead of spending it doing something more fun, I spent it either asleep or
wishing I could commit seppuku in order to rid myself of my rebellious stomach
guzzling Gatorade and munching on saltines whilst trying to read one of the myriad unread books in my collection.
My whiny petulance aside, I am grateful it wasn't something worse. Especially since one of my co-workers was diagnosed with H1N1. In light of that, I suppose I'd rather take the fast-moving stomach bug.
* Finally, the most important news for last. I now have a roommate. His name is Oscar. He is gray and fuzzy, walks around on four legs, and purrs like a jackhammer when he is given the proper amount of love and attention.
I didn't name him Oscar; it was the name he already had at the shelter. Still, it really does suit him well, and he now responds to it quite willingly. My digital camera is currently AWOL, but, once it has been tracked down, pictures of him will soon follow.
And . . . 'tis about it, for now. I've been trying to catch up with events in my friends' journals, but if there is something specific that has happened that you would like me to know about, or if you have some specific question for me, feel free to let me know about it in the comments.
Good night, and good luck.